Friday, November 04, 2005

"Now this is my mark!"

Michelle Malkin reported on how the The New York Times in an attempt to exploit the 2000th death in Iraq, hijacked a letter from Cpl. Jeffrey Starr that he wrote to his Girlfriend to be read on the occasion of his Death. The intent of the quote taken out of context was intended to blemish the decisions of soldiers that reenlist. The parts of his letter that were cut out are some of the most beautiful words written by a soldier on the meaning of his own death and the last full measure of his devotion to the freedom that he loved. See the MSNBC video here for more.

The Times Quote was:

"Obviously if you are reading this then I have died in Iraq. I kind of predicted this, that is why I'm writing this in November. A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances..."



The next few sentances added significant meaning as he wrote:

"Obviously if you are reading this then I have died in Iraq. I kind of predicted this, that is why I'm writing this in November. A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances. I don't regret going, everybody dies but few get to do it for something as important as freedom. It may seem confusing why we are in Iraq, it's not to me. I'm here helping these people, so that they can live the way we live. Not have to worry about tyrants or vicious dictators. To do what they want with their lives. To me that is why I died. Others have died for my freedom, now this is my mark."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home